Thursday, January 20, 2011

Meet Tracker...the insane shoe lover!!


We have a little, eight pound Jack Russell terrier named Tracker.  He is a work dog and has two serious jobs in his life.  One is to find bed bugs for Town and Country Pest Control.  He was rescued from a shelter and trained by a man in Florida.  The second job he has is one that he was never trained for and one that he has made up in his head.  It makes absolutely no sense, but he believes it is his job to guard my husbands shoes.  He will growl when anyone comes near them and if the growl isn't heeded he will attack viciously.  It doesn't matter how big or small the offender is.  It doesn't matter if it is the person, me, who feeds him.  It doesn't matter if he is disciplined severely.  He never waivers from his duty.  Being "The Guarder of the Shoes" is his purpose in this life.  He loves those shoes more than he loves his own life.
  
One afternoon I wanted my husband to chastise him.  He had offended me greatly and just about bit my entire foot off because I walked too close to the shoes.  Matt corrected him..i moved closer to the shoes...growl.  Matt corrected him...i moved closer...growl.  If Matt wasn't holding him I would have lost both of my feet and part of my leg.  This severe correction went on for a long time.   To no avail.  Finally my sweet, animal-loving daughter in law (Cheryl) who was watching on couldn't take it any longer.  She spoke up and said "I would just hide the shoes".  So we did.
  
I've thought a lot about Tracker and his love of Matts shoes.  Do I love anything like that?  So much that I would die for it?  I think we are suppose to love God like that.  That love is to be the sole influence as to why we do what we do each and every day. Deuteronomy tells us to "love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind."  I want to do that.  And, Tracker has given me a visual of loving something that much.  Thank you little, stupid Tracker.    I brought the shoes out of hiding.  I put them in his den area where he can see them constantly.  He sleeps near them and has a continual watch on those beloved shoes.  I praise him each time he growls and tell him what a good dog he is for guarding those shoes.  And every day I am reminded of my own lifes purpose and what it means to love something so much!  May not make sense to the world...but it makes perfect sense to me.     

4 comments:

Karen said...

I am so blessed by your thoughts-always. The Lord has given you such a rare gift of making Bibical applications out of the ordinary things in life. What a joy to know you.

Colette said...

Thanks Karen...I am blessed to know YOU!

Janice said...

"That love is to be the 'sole' influence as to why we do what we do each and every day."
I laughed and laughed with the little metaphor/word picture... and then wondered, "did she really write it that way, or was it accidental?!"
I truly have been married to my husband a long time... and always catch those dry humor moments!

Wonderful post... I loved it!

Colette said...

Hi Jan! Wasn't on purpose. I noticed it AFTER I posted! Hope your travels are going great....L,C