Saturday, December 18, 2010

Thankfully Posted

Ive decided to, at the end of each month, write about the things that im most thankful for in the past 30 days.  New amazing finds, great books, etc.    I figure...If I love them...then others may too!

1.  I read the BEST book.  I get excited when I find a book that captures my attention so much that I cant put it down!  Its called "Even Silence Has an End" by Ingrid Betancourt.  It is the amazing story of a woman who was taken captive by the FARC, a terrorist group, and held against her will for 7 years.  She wrote her story with such....class and honesty.  Its hard to believe that this kind of thing is happening today.  We live in freedom so it was hard for me to imagine.  So many thoughts were running through  my mind while reading this book. Im thinking of starting an online book club.  It would be  lot of fun to discuss books such as this one with other women who love to read.  This book was definitely a winner in my book ;)

2.  I decided, about 10 years ago, that when I became an empty nester that I would finally be able to catch up on lost sleep.  From the time I became a mother 29 years ago, I ceased knowing what it was like to really, really sleep.  And then...INSOMNIA....grrr......nobody told me that insomnia hits at about age 46.  I became a morning person overnight....and a night owl too.  Not a good combination.  Finally and reluctantly after 2 years of this nonsense, I resorted to prescription medication.  Not good.  And then recently my daughter in law, Hollie, handed me a sample of the most wonderful little chewy, NATURAL, sleep aid!!  Before I even tried it I was sceptical and didn't think that it would work.  But I was more than pleasantly surprised when I woke up after sleeping like a baby, feeling completely refreshed!  They are called Sleep Squares. They are made by Slumberland Snacks and can be ordered online at www.sleepsquares.com     Sweet dreams to my mid-life friends!

3.  Now.. the next thing Im thankful for is something that is not new to me in the past 30 days....but I indulged in them this week.  So they count.  Charlies Frog Pond on Park Avenue in Rochester, NY serve Sauted Banana Pancakes.  They are the best pancakes Ive ever had....ever.  The banana in the title may make people hesitant to order them.  But even if you dont like bananas Im pretty sure you will love these.  You can get them minus the bananas though.  They serve them anytime of the day...not just for breakfast.  If you live in Rochester they should be on your list of "things I must do before I die".  Seriously.  

4.  I got an early Christmas present from my hubby.  It is a wireless keyboard for my ipad. Its pretty amazing.  I cant even begin to express how thankful I am for this new high tech gadget.  I can write anywhere  and no longer have to lug my laptop around with me.  This leads me to my thankfulnes for my ipad.  Greatest thing ever.  My family got it for me on my birthday last year.  I have used it every single day since.  Its like carrying around all my books, magazines, and computer in one little slim piece of awesomeness.  Really....honestly and truly,  two of the best gift I've ever received!

5.  I am very thankful for the Christmas season.  I love the lights, songs, decorations, traditions, snow.....all of it.  But I have to say,  my favorite part is that the whole country celebrates Jesus birth....even if they don't know it. There are no words to describe my thankfulness for the gift of Christ who brought to me the gift of salvation...which brings meaning and purpose to my existence.   In emulating Christ, I love to give gifts to those I love.  I really, really love that part.  I am thankful for my family more than ever this Christmas season!   Merry Christmas!!   

That completes my December list of "things that Im most thankful for in the  last 30 days"! 
    
~Colette

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you Colette! I enjoyed reading this cuz I miss you so much & now I can stalk you & read all about you lol j/k but really thanks for starting this, I look forward to reading every month! You've always inspired me in so many ways more than you'll ever know...& btw I LOVE bananas, so I WILL be trying thos pancakes soon! :) luv ya <3
~Danielle L

jen said...

great to see TWO new posts from you these days!! Perhaps you'll inspire me to get working on my blog again!

Colette said...

Anonymous Daniellie....i love you too! Let me know how you like those banana pancakes!
Hey Jen! I hope it does inspire you to get writing. You are such a creative writer. I love to read your posts....and now you are going to have much more to write about. Ive thought about you all day today....since reading that you are expecting. Im so happy for you!!! p.s. Charlies Frog Pond is your old stomping ground...have you ever eaten those pancakes??